Friday, July 24, 2026

Reading Reflections #2: Five Pieces of Data I Collect Before I Ever Teach My First Small Group

 One of the questions I'm asked most often is:

"How do you know what to teach in your small groups?"

It's a great question because the answer isn't as simple as looking at one assessment score or placing students into groups based on a reading level.

In fact, before I ever pull my first small group, I've already begun collecting data.

Not to label students.

Not to sort them into permanent groups.

But to understand them.

One of the biggest misconceptions about data is that it's something we collect after we've taught. I see it differently. Data is how I begin getting to know my readers. It helps me understand where they are today so I can determine where they need to go tomorrow.

For me, data is simply information that helps me make better instructional decisions.

Data Point #1: Reading Identity

Before I care about how well students read, I want to know how they feel about reading.

Some questions I ask include:

  • Do you enjoy reading?

  • What kinds of books do you like?

  • When do you usually read?

  • Who has inspired you to become a reader?

  • What is your favorite book?

  • What makes reading difficult?

  • What makes reading enjoyable?

These questions tell me far more than many people realize.

A student who says, "I hate reading," may actually mean:

"I've never found books I enjoy."

"Reading has always been hard for me."

"I've never finished a book that made me feel successful."

That information matters.

Because before I can grow readers academically, I often have to rebuild their confidence.




Data Point #2: Diagnostic Assessments

Diagnostic assessments help me identify strengths and areas for growth.

I don't administer them simply to generate scores.

Instead, I ask myself:

  • What does this assessment tell me?

  • What doesn't it tell me?

  • What instructional decisions can I make because of this information?

If a student struggles with making inferences, I know comprehension instruction will be important.

If another student has difficulty decoding multisyllabic words, my instructional focus looks very different.

The assessment doesn't drive instruction by itself.

My analysis of the assessment does.

Data Point #3: Classroom Observations

Some of the most valuable data isn't found on a testing report.

It's found while students are reading.

I watch for things like:

  • Do they stay engaged?

  • Are they choosing books independently?

  • Do they abandon books quickly?

  • Are they rereading?

  • Do they use strategies when they become confused?

  • Are they talking about books with excitement?

Sometimes a five-minute observation provides insights that no assessment can capture.

Data Point #4: Reading Conferences

This is where I learn the "why" behind the data.

A conference allows me to ask questions like:

"Tell me what you were thinking while you were reading."

"What confused you?"

"How did you figure that out?"

"Show me where you noticed that."

Students often reveal strategies they already use—and just as importantly, strategies they still need to develop.










Those conversations help me determine whether a student needs additional instruction, more practice, or simply more confidence.

Data Point #5: Looking for Patterns

This may be the most important step of all.

I rarely create a small group because one student missed one question.

Instead, I look for patterns.

Maybe several students are struggling to monitor for meaning.

Maybe a group is having difficulty supporting their thinking with text evidence.

Maybe another group needs help building fluency.

Patterns help me design instruction that is intentional rather than reactive.

Small Groups Should Be Flexible

One thing I've learned over the years is that small groups should never become permanent.

Readers grow.

Needs change.

Skills develop.

A student who needed support with fluency in September may be ready to focus on deeper comprehension by November.

That's why I revisit my data regularly.

The goal isn't to keep students in groups.

The goal is to help students grow beyond the need for that group.

Data Should Inform, Not Define

Sometimes we become so focused on scores that we forget there is a child behind every data point.



Every chart represents a learner.

Every assessment represents a reader.

Every conference represents an opportunity to better understand how someone thinks.

That's why I always remind myself:

Data doesn't tell me who my students are.

It tells me where to begin.

Something to Think About This Week

Before planning your first small groups, ask yourself:

Do I have enough information to understand my students as readers, or am I making decisions based on one assessment?

The more complete the picture, the more intentional your instruction becomes.

When we combine diagnostic assessments, classroom observations, conferences, reading identities, and instructional patterns, we create small groups that truly meet students where they are.

And that's where meaningful growth begins.

Happy Reading,

Rhonda
Educating Readers Literacy Academy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Reflections #2: Five Pieces of Data I Collect Before I Ever Teach My First Small Group

  One of the questions I'm asked most often is: "How do you know what to teach in your small groups?" It's a great questio...