Friday, July 31, 2026

Reflection #5: The Biggest Mistake I Made During Reading Workshop

 If teaching has taught me anything, it's this:

Growth usually begins with admitting we've been doing something the hard way.

I've made plenty of mistakes throughout my career.

Some were small.

Others completely changed the way I teach.

One of my biggest mistakes was believing that Reading Workshop was mostly about teaching lessons.

I spent hours planning engaging mini-lessons.

I created anchor charts.

Prepared activities.

Organized materials.

Yet somehow my students weren't becoming the independent readers I hoped they would become.

I couldn't understand why.










From My Classroom

One afternoon, after delivering what I thought was an excellent mini-lesson, I watched students begin independent reading.

Within minutes...

Someone asked where to sit.

Someone couldn't find a book.

Another student forgot what to do.

Several students waited for me to solve every small problem.

That's when I realized something important.

I had spent so much time planning instruction that I hadn't spent enough time teaching independence.

The students weren't struggling with comprehension.

They were struggling with ownership.


What This Taught Me

Reading Workshop isn't built on lessons.

It's built on routines.

Readers become independent because they've practiced making decisions.

They know how to choose books.

They know what to do when meaning breaks down.

They know how to solve small problems.

They know how to continue reading without relying on the teacher every few minutes.

Those habits don't develop accidentally.

They develop because we intentionally teach them.

Try This Tomorrow

Think about one routines students struggle with.

Instead of correcting it repeatedly...

  • Teach it.
  • Model it.
  • Practice it.
  • Reflect on it.
  • Celebrate it.
  • Then practice it again.

Strong routines make a difference

Reflection Corner

Ask yourself:

Am I spending more time teaching reading strategies or teaching students how to become independent readers?

Both matter.

But independence is what allows strategies to transfer beyond our classroom.

One Last Thought

Today I still teach comprehension.

  • Vocabulary.
  • Fluency.
  • Writing about reading.

But I also remember that my greatest responsibility isn't delivering lessons.

It's developing readers who no longer need me standing beside them every step of the way.

That's what Reading Workshop is really about.

Helping students become confident enough to think for themselves.


Let's Keep Growing Together

If this reflection resonated with you, share it with another educator who is launching Reading Workshop this year.

Follow Educating Readers Literacy Academy for weekly reflections, practical strategies, and classroom ideas designed to help every student become a stronger reader.

Happy Read


Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection #5: The Biggest Mistake I Made During Reading Workshop

  If teaching has taught me anything, it's this: Growth usually begins with admitting we've been doing something the hard way. I...